API testing

Developer
Aug 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM

Yesterday i started API testing for the project. I found that we need to have try and catch blocks for the code. Once i finish API i will send the Excel sheet to you all so that we can review it and change code accordingly.

Coordinator
Aug 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Great!

Are you using the Unit Test framework in Visual Studio for tests or some other format?

I am philosophically opposed to most uses of try and catch, so I'm sure I missed a billion places it's needed :-)

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Also, which of the projects in the solution are you looking at? Most are trial balloons I was playing with a while back and are not really in any useful state; maybe we should delete them.

• regx -The currently-working command-line tool
  • regx2 - An attempt to move to a new command line argument parsing library. I really think this would be useful and I'd like to port it into the regx project
  • RegXCore - A trial at breaking the relatively small amount of core functionality (file handling and so forth) into a library
  • regxide and regxIDE for VS2010 - The start of plugins that use RegXCore to expose the full functionality inside VS or in a free-standing gui

Really, only regx is fully baked at the moment.

You've piqued my interest in the project again (I've been unwell for a year or two and not working on much). Would my checking in structural changes to regx mess up your tests?

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Oh, I see... I haven't committed regx2, regxcore, and the regxides! Perfect!

Developer
Aug 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I am using the regex for testing purpose. I thought of using Unit test framework for the project but in office i dont have full version. So i created a file "ModuleTest.cs".and i am wrting the test cases for various API's. I am sure i am using correct build. Please let me know if i need to have new built.

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Sounds good. Can you go ahead and check in a version of ModuleTest.cs so I can make sure I'm not going to break it? My current changes actually replace a lot, but they don't have to and I can work to keep interfaces stable.

I can back out the projects I haven't checked in. They aren't really at a good enough state to keep anyway.

Basically, I'm trying to replace the NConsoler library for parsing command line arguments with a library I wrote a while back. NConsoler is good, but I don't like that you have to have the first parameter be a command to execute. I really want to be able to use the program with simple, grep-like syntax such as "type aaa | regx <pattern> -i -v" as well as the more verbose, but more readable, syntax.

While I'm replacing it, I had to replace the action functions and realized I could refactor iostate and searcher into simpler code. I've learned a lot since I first wrote this. But that can be a second pass later if it would get in your way.

I think codeplex has branching enabled. I could also move my changes into a branch if that would help.

I'd like to see ModuleTest.cs, even just a stub if you prefer, so I don't make unnecessary trouble.

BTW, the unit test framework is really, really nice if you get a chance to use it on a project. But, as you say, you need the pro studio to get it, which is annoying.

Oh yeah, are you using going to be moving to VS2012? I haven't decided if I am. I like the beta, but I'm cash-strapped at the moment. If we need to upgrade the project files, we'll need to coordinate that, but I'm in no hurry at the moment.